Monday, January 18, 2010

Adventures Lead to Decision

How did a rockn' family get together in Southern Ohio, swimming with the kids and a side trip into West Virginia make me realize that I wasn't being true to how I work and whatI make.
I'm sure the after party chatter about family and the pictures that were handed down to us had something to do with it. But the trip into West Virginia was the catalyst to my change of thought during the long, quiet ride home.

I love West Virginia. The mountains, the people, especially the craftsmanship of the heritage arts. A large part of my family history is from Appalachia ~ West Virginia, Cumberland County Maryland, the mountains of North Carolina ~ and I was taught that these people were every bit as important to who I am as the ships captain that sailed colonists to Australia or my grandparents and dad who spent 4 years as POW's in WWII Philippines.
I have heard the stories, read their letters and poetry and sleep under quilts my great-grandmothers made.

Every vintage piece I collect and every piece of jewelry I make has a story, and every story comes to me with the repairs I make and and the designs I choose. These stories are every bit as important to me as what I make.

With that; I am going to put together a marketing strategy that is true to my work, hitting the brick and mortars in the area and approaching etsy in a way that is creative and comfortable for me. Yay me!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like quite an eye opening event. love those little moments where everything seems to crystallize and the path before is so clear. Good luck!

    Lisa
    http://www.misscheviousdesigns.com/blog.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful post! I wish you all the best in putting together a new, truer-to-you plan. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both! I am excited yet feeing quite vulnerable at the same time. That usually works for me, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are feeling inspired by your roots and nature. Best wshes as you approach the B&M's.


    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you all the best in putting together a new, truer-to-you plan.
    free internet jobs

    ReplyDelete