Monday, July 13, 2009

Week 2

After checking the January 2008 and January 2009 issues of Martha Stewart Living, I have a better idea of how I want to go about improving our little home.

First of all, I'm loving Martha's Wine and Spirit's articles - go ahead, call me a lush. For some reason I find Gentle Reminders not so gentle, and tad more nagging. Oh well, I'll try to take away what will be useful to my family and me; Good Things is fun and light hearted and of course, I am loving the recipes! I am so making the Chocolate Pavlova this week. Maybe I'll invite friends over for a fire and dessert. Ooo, I could include the Spirits too. Yum.

This week is full and I will have bored children, since Anna has returned home to North Carolina. So we will see how things go. My incomplete list goes as follows:
Clean the car - the fries are starting to stink
Buy school supplies *Staples has a great sale going this week
Clean out bathroom closet
Hang art
Start re-seating the dining room chairs
Meet Cheryl for dinner and drinks - Yay!!

My Potato and Leek recipes had rave reciews last night, so I'm including the recipe.

About 2.5pounds of Potato's, sliced thin
2 Leeks, sliced thin and rinsed well
3 slices Smoked Bacon - diced
4 oz. Goats Milk Cheese
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 Cup Cream

In a Dutch Oven, render bacon until crisp, add the cleaned* leeks and cook until soft. Add sliced potatos, sprinkle with flour, add cheese and cream; cook until bubbly. Put into large casserole pan or 9x11 pan and bake 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Some family members would have prefered a less pungent cheese, but others swore by the goat's milk.

*To clean leeks, which must be done thougholy or you will have gritty food. Cut ends and tough, dark greens off. Cut leek in half length wise and then slice into 1/4" pieces. Any lager seems tough. Break ring up into bowl of cold water and let dity grit settle to the bottom.
Remember to scoop out into a collander and pour the water down the drain or you will still have the dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment